REPUBLIC OF TURKEY MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL AFFAIRS GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF PROTECTION AND CONTROL VISION
- Efficient inspection
- Sufficient control
- Good quality input
- Safe food
MISSION TO PRODUCERS
- Safe delivery of agricultural inputs e.g. seeds, drugs and vaccines.
- Production and marketing of safe products of animal or plant origin and food.
- Protection of plant, animal and marine product resources and
ensuring the safety of products there from
- Protection and maintenance of animal health,
- Healthy market and appropriate transportation
- Establishing a permanent identification and registration system for
animals; an active , dynamic, compatible and comprehensive Food Policy,
- Providing an accreditation system in laboratory services,
- Providing new fishing areas,
- Protection and sustainability of the stocks of marine products,
- Assurance of the production capacity of farmers affected by natural
- Developing environmentally friendly alternative methods for plant
- Extending the use of rapid alert system,
- Taking the measures against environmental deterioration,
- Harmonisation of the Turkish legislation on veterinary, phytosanitary and food safety to the EU acquis,
- Privatisation in inspection and control services,
- Establishing quality management system.
- Decree Law of 441 on Organisation and Duties of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs.
- Law of 6968 on Agricultural Combat and Agricultural Quarantine,
- Law of 3285 on Animal Health and Inspection.
- Law of 6343 The Execution of Veterinary Medicine and Establishment Of Turkish Veterinarian Chambers and Union.
- Decree Law of 560 on The Production, Consumption and Inspection of Foods.
- Law of 308 on Registration Control and Certification of Seed for Sowing.
- Law of 1734 on Feed
- Law of 1262 on Medical and Pharmaceutical Chemicals.
- Law of1380 on Fishery
- Law of 2090 on The Aids For The Farmers Harmed In Natural Disasters.
- Law of 4081 on Farmer Properties Protection.
WORKING FIELDS AND DUTIES ANIMAL HEALTH AND QUARANTINE SERVİCES
- To combat against animal diseases and pests,
- To make plans for the production of vaccine, serum, biological and
chemical materials, to issue permits for operating private diagnostic
and analysis, laboratories and to supervise such laboratories,
- To issue permits to import vaccines and to perform quality controls,
- To issue health certificates for disease free hatcheries and breeding
- To control and monitor of animal movements,
- To take necessary measures against illegal animal movements,
- To regulate the requirements for import and export of animals and
products of animal origin,
- To execute the tasks with regard to foreign trade,
- To issue licences for private veterinary services and to supervise the
VETERINARY PUBLIC HEALTH SERVİCES
- To permit all kinds of facilities manufacturing meat and meat
products, to collect and evaluate statistical information about meat
- To co-ordinate Provincial control laboratories,
- To ensure the establishment and inspection of private laboratories,
- To perform studies for the detection, pursuit and eradication of
PLANT HEALTH AND QUARANTINE SERVİCES
- To combat against plant disease and pests, to carry out the
agricultural quarantine controls and foreign trade processes of the
product materials (seed, seedling, sapling, cutting grafting shoot, turf
etc.) to be imported and exported,
- To perform seed registration, sapling certification controls and to
permit the production,
- To inspect the conformity of agricultural combat implementations all
around the country within technical instructions and integrated combat
approach, to propose new methods by detecting deficient points in combat
and to prepare a survey programme.
- To detect and announce the importation, exportation, manufacturing and
preparation conditions, norms and characters as well as the prices of
drugs and their related substances used in the protection and treatment
of plant and animal health besides the agricultural combat equipment and
machines including aircraft and helicopters,
- To determine the principles for their manufacture, to carry out the
processes for licence and inspections, to ensure their dispatch into the
market on time,
- To perform the processes related with the factory establishment and
foundation as well as the production, market, storage and sale controls,
- To fulfil the processes related with the specification, prescription,
licence and prices of drug, equipment and machines.
CONTROL, PRODUCTION AND REGISTRATION OF FOOD SERVİCES
- To carry out food foreign trade control and inspections at each phase
of the production in food production sites,
- To ensure qualified and reliable food supply,
- To perform studies in order to ensure efficient nutrition of the
- To prepare and publish product Codex,
- To make registrations of food packing production facilities and to
permit their manufactured products,
- To prepare food industry inventories.
FEED CONTROL AND REGISTRATION SERVİCES
- To carry out the registration and declaration processes of feeds which
will be manufactured under a licence and establishment permission by the
- To perform the controls of manufactured feeds, to execute legal
procedures for inappropriate products,
- To issue related permission certificates for the import and export of
feed and feed raw materials.
ENVIRONMENT AND DISASTER SERVİCES
- To conduct necessary processes for a one-year postpone for the
debits of the farmer harmed from natural disasters to the agricultural
- To meet livestock looses in kind of farmers from disaster fund,
- To protect the farmers’ plant and animals in accordance, to take
necessary measures against the possible harms and to determine
- To conduct studies for the protection of soil, water, plant and
animal existences as well as the environment.
FISHERY PRODUCTS SERVİCES
- To regulate the marine products fishing,
- To rent fishery shelters and to execute related services for their
- To inspect the facilities processing, evaluating and exporting marine
products in accordance with the technical and hygienic conditions in
- To carry out studies about marine product health and quality control.
- To ensure co-ordination of the projects conducted by General
Directorate, to prepare budgets,
- To execute computer-based related activities for information system
of General Directorate,
- To implement the procedures for the foreign relations, to prepare
the opinion of General Directorate in technical, scientific and
- To project, follow, modify and co-ordinate the legislation of
CONNECTED AND RELATED INSTITUTIONS DIRECTORATES OF SEED FOR SOWING REGISTRATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Ankara Seed for Sowing Registration and Certification Centre
- Directorate of Çayırova Seed Certification Test
DIRECTORATES OF AGRICULTURAL COMBAT RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS
- Directorate of Control Division
- Directorate of Animal Health Division
- Directorate of Plant protection Division
- Directorate of Support Division
- Directorate of Farmer Training and Publishing Division
DIRECTORATE OF VETERINARY CONTROL AND RESEARCH INSTITUTES
- Central Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Ankara
- Pendik Veterinary Control and Research Institute, İstanbul
- Bornova Veterinary Control and Research Institute, İzmir
- Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Konya
- Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Elazığ
- Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Erzurum
- Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Adana
- Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Samsun
- Poultry Disease Research and Vaccine Production Institute , Manisa
- Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) Institute, Ankara
DIRECTORATES OF PROVINCIAL CONTROL LABORATORY
DIRECTORATES OF WAREHOUSE AND CUSTOMS VETERINARY
DIRECTORATES OF AGRICULTURAL QUARANTINE
COMMISSIONS SERVING IN THE BODY OF THE GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF PROTECTION AND CONTROL AND THEIR DUTIES ANIMAL HEALTH CONSULTING BOARD
To state opinions by examining the points related with animal diseases
in accordance with the Article 31 of Animal Health and Inspection Law
no.3285, to arrange and track the services related with veterinarian
execution of veterinary medicine as well as animal movements and
transports, to agree upon an opinion about the examination and inspection
of animal materials, to establish strategy and policies.
TURKISH ZOONOSIS NATIONAL COMMITTEE
To ensure the co-operation between the related institutions in order to
take the necessary measures against serious zoonosis diseases in our
country (rabies, tuberculosis, etc.)
ADDITIVES AND RESIDUE COMMISSION
To lead the applications significant for a reliable food production (to
decrease the dosages, to review the periods between the last medication
and harvest (PHI) according to the results of the review of residue
detected in foods, to extend and reduce the legal purification period, the
cancellation of licence and recommendation, review of the limits in Food
Codex, etc.) and to co-ordinate the related activities.
CONSULTING BOARD FOR PESTICIDE AND SIMILAR SUBSTANCES
To facilitate the determination of the policy of the Ministry following
the pointing out the problems (certification, control, residue,
toxicology, ecotoxicology etc.) that will arise from the substances that
are used for the development of the plants such as plant developing
regulators and pesticides that are used in combat against plant diseases,
pests and herbs.
VETERINARY DRUG COMMISSION
To permit the licensing of veterinary drugs.
AGRICULTURAL COMBAT CENTRAL DRUG COMMISSION
To issue licence to the drugs to be used in agricultural combat and to
improve the recommendation of licensed drugs.
COMMISSION OF PESTICIDE RESIDUE FOLLOW-UP
To determine the pesticide residue amounts in agricultural products, to
prepare legislation and to determine the limitations according to the
conditions of our country.
CONSULTING BOARD FOR FOOD SERVICES
To establish food policies, to improve food industry, to fortify food
To ensure the improvement of dairy production and dairy husbandry and
increasing the milk consumption.
ADVISORY COMMITTE ON FOODS FOR SPECIAL NUTRITIONAL USES
Makes recommendations on ; preparation of legislation on these products
; solution of technical problems faced during production certification and
importation ; preparation of country comments related to these products
for Codex Alimentarius Commission
LIVESTOCK AND MEAT COUNCIL
To determine, track and inspect the necessary studies in the short,
medium and long term for projecting strategies in livestock and meat
industry in parallelism with the applications applied all around the world
and to constitute the necessary modifications for an efficient livestock
and meat policy.
CONSULTING BOARD OF FEED
To ensure the necessary studies to be carried out for the production,
marketing and importation of feed and feed materials, as well as the
processes in order to guide the Ministry.
FISHERY PRODUCT CONSULTING BOARD
To improve policies on marine product fishing, breeding and industry,
to take measures in order to solve the related problems, to make necessary
arrangements, to conduct studies towards the fortification of the sector.
VARIETY REGISTRATION COMMITTEE
To make registrations for plant varieties and to permit production.
COMMISSION FOR VETERİNARY BIOLOGICAL PRODUCT FOR IMPORT AND PRODUCTION
To conduct studies related with the licensing of import
and production vaccines and other veterinary biologicals.
INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATIONS AND AGREEMENTS BEARING OUR MEMBERSHIP
AGRIS/CARIS International Agricultural
Science and Technology System
BaBSeVA Balkan and Black Sea Veterinary Association
BERN Protection Convention for European Wild Life and Natural Habitats
BSEC Black Sea Economic Co-operation
CIHEAM International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies
CITES Convention on Wild animal and plant
D-8 Islamic Countries Development Programme
EC European Council
ECO Economic Cooperation Organisation
EMPRES Emergency Prevention System for Transboundary Animal and Plant Pests and Diseases
EPPO European and Mediterranean Organisation of Plant Protection
EU European Union
EUFMD TheEuropean Commission for Food-and–mouth Disease
species under the danger of extinction
FAO Food And Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations
FIVIMS Information and Mapping System for National Food Insecurity and Sensibility
Science and Technology System
FVE Federation of Veterinary of Europe
GATT General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs
IAEA International Atom Energy Agency
IASTE International Apprentice Student Exchange
ICARDA International Centre of Agricultural Research in Dry Areas.
IRRI International Rice Research Institution
ISTA International Seed Test Association
JICA Japan International Co-operation Association
MEDA Mediterranean-Europe Co-operation Monetary Wing for Mediterranean countries
MZCC Mediterranean Zoonosis Control Centre
OECD Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development
OIE Office of International des Epizooties
OILB Organisation of International Biological Fight
RABNET Rabies Network
RADISCON Regional Animal Diseases Surveillance and Control Network
TCDC International Technical co-operation of developing countries of FAO
TADinfo Transboundary Animal Disease Information System
TRIPs Trade related Intellectual Property Rights Council
UNDP United Nations Development Programme
UNICEF United Nations Children Aid Fund
UNIDO United Nations Industrial Development organisation
UPOV Union for Protection of Vegetation
WHO World Health Organisation
WVA World Veterinarian Association
WTO World Trade Organisation
GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF FOOD AND CONTROL
Eskişehiryolu 9. Km.